Lead Data Engineer
Thousands of design teams use Sketch to transform their ideas into incredible products. Would you like to help build and scale the original disruptor in digital design? We’re looking for a Lead Data Engineer to take our team to the next level.
Your Role At Sketch:
Sketch is a high-velocity, low-touch, product-led company. At our core, we believe the best products sell themselves. In order for us to wisely and respectfully target new opportunities, we rely on data. That’s where you come in.
You’ll work as a data evangelist within Sketch; working across business and technical functions to help everyone capture, store, access, and analyze hard data.
As the Data Lead at Sketch, you’ll be responsible for data governance across teams, the infrastructure that internal tools and analytics utilize, and new data capture across marketing, sales, and product.
We’re a company of diverse thinkers and doers who take pride in always improving our product. We share a vision and commitment to help each other — and our customers — create great work.
We’ve been fully remote since day one. It’s meant we can bring together incredible people from around the world. You’ll join coworkers based everywhere from Scotland to South Africa, and Australia to the US.
We encourage our people to be themselves and embrace what makes us unique. We value different backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, and we strongly believe this is key to achieving outstanding results.
We work asynchronously as much as we can. Our team communicates mostly in writing, using Slack and GitHub. When we need it, we also have video calls. We have a culture of collaboration and knowledge-sharing, and we provide the environment and the tools you need to do your best work.
What you’ll be doing:
- Engaging with department leaders and internal stakeholders to identify and solve problems (including our Founders, COO, CTO, and heads of Infrastructure, Sales, and Marketing).
- Serving as a subject matter expert for data and coordinating projects as a bridge between business and technical teams.
- Providing vision and strategy for all data management activities.
- Overseeing the development, management, and monitoring of data pipelines and associated curated data sources.
- Conceptualizing, building, and managing a data warehousing strategy with clean, consistent, and integrated data.
- Establishing architecture and decision-support applications to give easy access to operational, marketing, and product data.
- Organizing, contributing to, and implementing policies, procedures, and responsibilities that define the accountabilities for the effective management of information assets.
- 5+ years of relevant working experience in data engineering, analytics, or software engineering
- Strong technical accomplishments in architecting, implementing, and managing Data Models, pipelines and ETLs
- Previous experience partnering with Business and Technical teams to gather requirements, make informed recommendations, and solve problems
- Strong technical intuition and ability to understand complex business systems
- Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery, or similar data warehouse handling experience
- Ability to work remotely as part of a close-knit team
- Stellar written and verbal English communication skills
- Working experience with Python or similar scripting language and SQL
- Willing to work during Eastern US or Western European working hours
- Demonstrated expertise with dirty data at a startup company
- A self-starter who can diagnose inefficiencies and optimize processes to maximize results.
- Experience with visualization tools (ie. Tableau, Sigma)
We care about your wellbeing and your professional success, so we offer you:
- Full-time employment, with a flexible schedule
- International environment and working culture
- As many vacation days as you need
- Whatever training you need to develop in your job
- The hardware you need
- The option to work anywhere
- Company equity
- Paid family leave
- An annual company meetup (when possible)