Mac developer, Core (plugins)
Sketch is a design platform with an award-winning native Mac app and browser-based collaboration tools. Over a million people use our product to create their best work. And right now, we’re looking for a Mac developer to join us.
This position is within the Mac Core team. This team is generally responsible for the health and technical direction of the Mac code base, and is predominantly involved in areas like the performance and quality of the Mac app, and the ways it interfaces with other parts of Technology – rendering, plugins, unit testing infrastructure, performance monitoring etc.
In addition to coding, you'll review code from other engineers to keep our quality high and help the whole team to constantly improve. You are expected to have a certain degree of autonomy and to balance work on features alongside improvements and bug-fixing while working on a Continuous Delivery environment.
The ideal person for the job is a dedicated team player with a keen eye for detail. We value every year of experience in your field, but experience isn't the be-all and end-all. It's just as important that you have the passion and knowledge to build high-quality software.
You care about security, code quality, scalability, performance, and simplicity. Above all, you seek operational excellence and apply the best engineering practices possible. Not everything that you or your team do can be perfect, but you make sure that you always know the trade-offs. You back your decisions with arguments. You don't care for hype and always try to find the best solution and technology for the job and its context.
You are a pragmatist and understand technology as the medium to build products. You understand the right balance between code readability, simplicity, development speed, performance, and maintainability.
You value team work, knowledge sharing, autonomy and ownership. You care are about your team, and contribute to an environment of psychological safety and healthy work culture.
We’re a company of diverse thinkers and doers who take pride in always improving our product. We share a vision and commitment to help each other — and our customers — create great work.
We’ve been fully remote since day one. It’s meant we can bring together incredible people from around the world. You’ll join over 65 Mac, backend, frontend, QA and infrastructure engineers in the Technology team, based everywhere from Scotland to South Africa, and Lithuania to the US. We encourage our people to be themselves and embrace what makes us unique. We value different backgrounds, perspectives and experience, and we strongly believe this is key to achieving outstanding results.
We work asynchronously as much as we can. Our team communicates mostly in writing, using Slack and GitHub. When we need it, we also have video calls. We have a culture of collaboration and knowledge-sharing, and we provide the environment and the tools you need to do your best work.
Essentials for the job
- You are passionate about Mac development, product design, and problem-solving.
- You enjoy working as part of a close-knit team. Together with your colleagues, you will code, review Pull Requests, deploy to production, etc. As part of a distributed team, you believe in maintaining detailed documentation.
- You can write and maintain high-quality and well-tested code. You can also prepare a fast proof of concept when you need to.
- You have experience as a professional Mac developer and in-depth knowledge and understanding of Objective-C and Swift.
- Ideally, you have some experience building Sketch plugins.
- You have excellent communication skills and written English, are self-motivated, and comfortable working in a remote position.
- Based in European / African timezones.
We care about your well-being and your professional success, so we offer you
- Full-time employment, with a flexible schedule.
- International environment and working culture.
- As many vacation days as you need.
- Whatever training you need to develop in your job.
- Private healthcare and gym reimbursements.
- The hardware you need.
- The option to work anywhere in European/African timezones.
- Company equity.
- Paid family leave.
- An annual company meetup (when possible).