Mac Technical Specialist
Sketch is a design platform with an award-winning native Mac app and browser-based collaboration tools. Over a million people use our product to create their best work. And right now, we’re looking for a Mac technical specialist to join us.
You will be working at the nexus of our Engineering teams and the Customer Support teams. In this role, you will properly identify unexpected crashes, production issues, and errors in our macOS application and work with the Engineering teams to respond to them in a timely manner. By monitoring trends and spotting patterns in regressions, you’ll also help teams increase the quality of their work through automated testing practices, advocate for bug prioritization, and track data to make informed recommendations.
We work with empowered product teams that truly own what they do — delivering new features and improving the technology foundations of our application. Each team is a mix of Mac and web and QA engineers, and everyone in the team is responsible for the quality of their work.
In this role, you will handle the triaging of bugs, assist engineering teams in code debugging and finding appropriate technical short-term and long-term solutions. You will use data tools, bug tracking tools, and other sources of feedback to identify regression patterns, prioritize issues, and coordinate work between each engineering team to improve their overall testing practices.
You are expected to work with autonomy and balance triaging work alongside a technical project manager, Mac developers, customer support, and QA while making sharp choices to bring us closer to a Continuous Delivery environment.
You're a natural problem solver. We have a diverse, distributed team that works across different parts of the product. You’ll use your communication and collaboration skills to help everyone work better together.
You are a pragmatist and understand technology as the medium to build products. You understand the right balance between code readability, simplicity, development speed, performance, and maintainability.
You care about security, code quality, scalability, performance, and simplicity. Above all, you seek operational excellence and apply the best engineering practices possible, especially when it comes to quality and testing.
You value team work, knowledge sharing, autonomy, and ownership. You care are about your team, and contribute to an environment of psychological safety and healthy work culture.
You have a natural curiosity and motivation to become a Sketch Mac expert and lead software improvements across verticals. You enjoy solving interesting coding problems and making a positive difference across engineering teams. You are excited to play a valuable role in improving our Mac development processes and tools.
We’re a company of diverse thinkers and doers who take pride in always improving our product. We share a vision and commitment to help each other — and our customers — create great work.
We’ve been fully remote since day one. It’s meant we can bring together incredible people from around the world. You’ll join over 60 Mac, backend, frontend, QA, and infrastructure engineers in the Technology team, based everywhere from Scotland to South Africa, and Lithuania to the US.
We encourage our people to be themselves and embrace what makes us unique. We value different backgrounds, perspectives, and experience, and we strongly believe this is key to achieving outstanding results.
We work asynchronously as much as we can. Our team communicates mostly in writing, using Slack and GitHub. When we need it, we also have video calls. We have a culture of collaboration and knowledge-sharing, and we provide the environment and the tools you need to do your best work.
- Manage first level triaging, code debugging, and escalating to teams when appropriate, and work alongside teams to resolve bugs
- Act as the main point of contact for localization in engineering
- Work autonomously to field internal inquiries regarding potential bugs and determine their severity and priority
- Assist in the implementation of new processes and standard practices for Mac testing within engineering and help refine these processes as needed
- Maintain an awareness of bug resolution through the development process and the releases to production and be willing to close the loop with Customer Support once a fix is deployed
- Keep an eye on metrics and reports as they relate to the areas where regressions occur and help driving optimization of automation and capacity within engineering.
Essentials for the Job
- Hands-on experience developing applications for macOS with Swift, Objective-C, and Xcode development experience
- Previous experience in triaging and code debugging techniques and tools
- Ability to work in code written by other people and handle several concurrent projects
- Good understanding of Mac testing methodologies
- Ability to develop and ship high-quality software products on schedule
- Excellent communication skills for all audiences (technical and non-technical), in English (both oral and written form)
- Data-driven mindset, with focus on metrics and flow of work
- Adaptable and results-oriented
- Self-motivated and dedicated with demonstrated ability for problem-solving and critical thinking
- Love collaborating with a team, especially async
- Must be based in European / African timezones.
What we offer
- International environment and working culture
- Flexibility to organize your own time, no set hours
- As many vacation days as you need
- Whatever training you need to develop in your job
- The hardware you need
- The option to work anywhere in European/African timezones
- Company equity
- Paid family leave
- An annual company meetup (when possible).