Sketch is a design platform with an award-winning native Mac app and browser-based collaboration tools. Over a million people use our product to create their best work. And right now, we’re looking for a Release Engineer to join us.
You will be responsible for maintaining and building releases systems in a DevOps environment, ensuring maximum output for our development teams. The Sketch ecosystem combines a Mac application with cloud products that are Continuously Delivered to our users using different distribution mechanisms and methods.
We work with empowered product teams that truly own what they do — delivering new features and improving the technology foundations of our application. Each team is a mix of Mac and web and QA engineers, and everyone in the team is responsible for the quality of their work.
In this role you will design and develop code that glues together various components in our build pipeline, and maintain and monitor our software builds. You will have a key role in investigating and recommending best practices for maintaining and improving code quality, including development of metrics and code review workflows.
You’re a natural collaborator. We have a diverse, distributed team that works across different parts of the product. You’ll use your communication and collaboration skills to help everyone work better together.
You use initiative to drive work forward. You’ll work with a team of incredible engineers and you’ll need to be proactive in your approach, ready to evaluate options, and apply initiative to drive work forward.
You value precision: Our customers strongly rely on our product for their work. Everything we ship has to be of the highest quality. You will make sure that this is always the case through a precise and efficient approach to what you do.
You have a natural curiosity and motivation to learn. We have many opportunities to learn and interesting problems to help develop your skills and knowledge. In return, we expect you to play a valuable role in improving our processes and tools.
We’re a company of diverse thinkers and doers who take pride in always improving our product. We share a vision and commitment to help each other — and our customers — create great work.
We’ve been fully remote since day one. It’s meant we can bring together incredible people from around the world. You’ll join over 60 Mac, backend, frontend, QA and infrastructure engineers in the Technology team, based everywhere from Scotland to South Africa, and Lithuania to the US.
We encourage our people to be themselves and embrace what makes us unique. We value different backgrounds, perspectives and experience, and we strongly believe this is key to achieving outstanding results.
We work asynchronously as much as we can. Our team communicates mostly in writing, using Slack and GitHub. When we need it, we also have video calls. We have a culture of collaboration and knowledge-sharing, and we provide the environment and the tools you need to do your best work.
- Working with our development teams and PMs to plan our product lifecycle
- Developing plans for the build and release systems, including new release pipelines
- Correcting build errors and maintaining formal release records to track release content
- Developing dashboards to help quantify internal processes
- Designing and executing tools and scripts to develop multiple product versions
- Developing general Cloud releases, Mac releases, web products, and internal services
- Supporting integration of new technologies
- Maintaining and evaluating tools supporting process automation for product release
Essentials for the job
- A DevOps mindset and experience with Continuous Delivery.
- 3+ years of professional experience as Release Engineer on product companies.
- Experience in reading and understanding source code.
- Experience with scripting (shell), version control(Git) and build systems(Jenkins).
- Experience with code reviews, constructive critiques and documentation.
- Experience with monitoring and metrics e.g. Prometheus and Grafana
- Interpersonal communication skills, in English (both oral and written form)
- Must be based in European / African timezones
What we offer
- Truly International Environment and Working Culture
- Flexibility to organize your own time, no set hours
- As many vacation days as you need
- Whatever training you need to develop in your job
- The hardware you need
- The option to work anywhere in European/African timezones
- Company equity
- Paid family leave
- An annual company meetup (when possible)