Rendering Tech Lead
Sketch is a design platform with award-winning native Mac and iOS apps and browser-based collaboration tools. Over a million people use our product to create their best work. Now, we’re looking for a Tech Lead for our Rendering team to join us.
We work with empowered product teams that truly own what they do — delivering new features and improving the technology foundations of our platform. As the Tech Lead of the Rendering team, you will be working alongside 2D Graphics Engineers to help define the future of our rendering stack across all our platforms (Mac, iOS, Web, Backend) and contribute to a smooth and pleasant experience for our users.
The team is led by an Engineering Manager (who focuses on people management) and you will be responsible for its overall technical direction. That includes defining and executing a global rendering strategy to make all the needed building blocks extensible, fast, efficient, and accurate. You’ll oversee project definitions and help your fellow engineers make the best technical decisions. This is a hands-on position, so you’ll follow up on these definitions with development work to see the project through to its completion.
In the Rendering team, we collaborate with other teams to create the tools that will allow them to build new features on all platforms. We also have our own roadmap to improve and evolve those foundations.
We’re looking for someone who loves computer graphics and building user products. This role is right for you if you have passion to use your knowledge to empower other developers to build advanced features, but also if you like to innovate and create new opportunities for the product.
You’re a systems thinker. You keep a high-level view of all the parts involved in delivering a project:tech stack, people, projects, dependencies and trade-offs. You envision the roadmap for the team, foresee the unknowns and prepare the strategy to reach our goals.
You lead by example, are a mentor, and inspire your team and other tech leads. You can understand the company goals and how your team can contribute to them — including how to balance speed with quality and the team’s availability.
You are a pragmatist and understand technology as the medium to build products. You understand the right balance between code readability, simplicity, development speed, performance, and maintainability.
Above all, you seek operational excellence and apply the best engineering practices possible. Not everything you or your team do will be perfect, but you make sure you always know the trade-offs. You back your decisions with arguments. You don't care for hype and always try to find the best solution and technology for the job and its context.
We’re a company of diverse thinkers and doers who take pride in always improving our product. We share a vision and commitment to help each other — and our customers — create great work.
We’ve been fully remote since day one. It’s meant we can bring together incredible people from around the world. You’ll join over 75 Mac, backend, frontend, QA and infrastructure engineers in the Technology team, based everywhere from Scotland to South Africa, and Lithuania to the US.
We encourage our people to be themselves and embrace what makes us unique. We value different backgrounds, perspectives and experience, and we strongly believe this is key to achieving outstanding results.
We work asynchronously as much as we can. Our team communicates mostly in writing, using Slack and GitHub. When we need it, we also have video calls. We embrace a culture of collaboration and knowledge-sharing, and we provide the environment and the tools you need to do your best work.
Essentials for the Job
- You are passionate about computer graphics and have broad technical skills and solid software engineering foundations.
- You enjoy working as part of a close-knit team. Together with your colleagues, you will code, review Pull Requests, deploy to production, etc. As part of a distributed team, you believe in maintaining detailed documentation.
- You can write and maintain high-quality and well-tested code. You can also prepare a fast proof of concept when you need to.
- You have a good understanding of 2D vector graphics pipelines, from low level primitives to display on screen.
- You can understand and design the architecture of an application with several components using different technologies and platforms.
- You can hack PoCs in record time and focus on the minimum necessary to prove a point. You are comfortable working with very low-level and high-level code.
- You have experience or can quickly learn to work with our technology stack: C++, Swift, Core Graphics, Skia, Metal, WebGL, WebAssembly.
- You have excellent communication skills and written English, are self-motivated, and comfortable working in a remote position.
- You are based on European/African time zones.
We care about your wellbeing and your professional success, so we offer you:
- Full time employment, with a flexible schedule
- International environment and working culture
- The option to work anywhere in with significant overlap with the UTC+1 timezone
- As many vacation days as you need
- Whatever training you need to develop in your job
- The hardware you need
- Company equity
- Paid family leave
- An annual company meetup