Learn how to bring ideas and feedback together with Annotations — use comments, notifications and threads in the web app to get feedback from colleagues, stakeholders or anyone you share your designs with.
With the introduction of Annotations, we’ve converted all your previous comments into annotation pins, which you’ll find in the top left corner of the Artboard they relate to.
How to comment on documents in the web app
You can add annotations anywhere within a Workspace document. To do so:
- Click the New comment icon in the toolbar or press N.
- Click anywhere on the Canvas to place the annotation pin. If you are viewing an individual Artboard you can only add the comment within it.
- Write your comment in the popover — you can add emoji , mention users and use basic Markdown markup.
- Click the Send button to finish adding the comment.
Once you’re done you can close the annotation by clicking anywhere outside of it. To open it again, click on the annotation pin. You’ll find all comments in the Comment tab in the sidebar, so you can easily navigate through them later on.
To hide all annotation pins select Hide Comments on the menu or press ⇧N. You can still preview them in the Comments section and bring comments back using the same shortcut.
Elements of an Annotation
- You’ll find existing comments in the Comment tab of the sidebar. You can see who wrote the comment and when as well as the number of replies. Click on it to open the annotation popover in the Canvas.
- The annotation pin shows the location of a comment on the Artboard and is color-coded. The pin’s colors mean:
- Orange — an unread comment from another user
- Blue — a comment you’ve just added
- Black — a comment you’ve read
- You can scroll through the comment popover to see all comments in a thread, starting from the most recent.
- A comment — shows when it was published as well as the avatar and username of its author. It contains its own context menu — from there, you can Edit… or Delete… your own comments.
- The Write a reply… field — is where you can reply to other comments.
- Icons let you add emoji or mention users when commenting or replying.
- The Send button — posts your comment or reply to the thread.
- The context menu allows you to:
- Follow a comment by clicking on Follow. Following a comment means you will receive notifications for any activity on the thread
- Copy a link to the comment and share it via email or chat
- Delete a comment
Note: You’re the only one that can edit your comments, although Admins can delete them.
Where to find comments in the web app
You can find all your comments in the Comment tab. When viewing a Page, all the comments appear in chronological order under the UNREAD and VIEWED headings. Once you go to an Artboard’s view, you’ll only see the comments specific to that Artboard.
Once you add a comment it will appear for every user that has access to the document and permission to view comments.
Who can comment?
When you share a document, commenting is enabled by default. If you want to disable commenting for Viewers or Guests on your document, uncheck the ‘Can Comment’ option using the Share > View option.
Note: You can’t remove the ability to comment for Editors.
Threads make it easy to organize discussions and keep track of different conversations. You can start threads after any comment by adding replies in the comment popover.
On the Canvas, click on the annotation pin you want to reply to. There, you can start a thread by typing in the Write a reply… field. Type your reply, then press ⌘Enter to post it.
Below the original comment, you’ll see the number of replies a comment has. To see all the replies, click on the original comment.
How to manage comment notifications
You can choose to get notifications for new comments on a specific thread, a single Artboard (or a selection of them) or for the whole document. By default, we’ll enable notifications for any document you comment on, but you can change this at any time.
- To receive notifications for a whole document, go to the document’s About tab and click on the Following… button. Select the Follow Entire Document option. To stop receiving notifications, choose Unfollow Document.
- To receive notifications on a single comment thread, open the comment popover. Click and select Follow in the context menu. To stop receiving notifications, click on it again.
If you want to receive notifications for a specific Artboard, open that Artboard and click on the icon under the Comment tab.
You can choose to follow all the Artboards in a document or just the current one using the menu.
How to view comment notifications
You can access all your notifications by clicking on the Updates tab in the left sidebar. The Updates page shows all the replies and mentions for the documents you follow. To read a document in context or reply click on any comment or mention — we’ll take you right to the related Artboard or document.
Click on the tick that appears to the right of the notification when you hover over it to mark it as read — or select Mark All as Read from the top of the page.
Markdown support in comments
We currently support the following basic Markdown markup within comments:
*italic* _italic_ **bold** `code` code blocks (start every line with 4 spaces) > quote 1. orderded lists - unordered lists