What are the differences between a Mac-only license and a subscription?
Sketch offers different purchase options. A Sketch subscription is the way to get the full experience; a shared online collaboration space with free real-time collaboration, developer handoff, easy user management and more. We also sell Mac-only licenses, a legacy product that only includes the Mac editor app and therefore no access to any of our collaborative features. Read on for the full breakdown:
- The full Sketch experience. From real-time collaboration in the Mac app, to feedback and handoff in the web app.
- Includes a Workspace to store and share your work. Access all your work, anywhere you use Sketch. Design in private, invite others, or share individual documents with Guests. You can of course still save documents locally on your computer.
- Real-time collaboration. Collaborate in real-time with people in your team on documents in your workspace for free.
- Lets you easily manage accounts and roles. You choose whether people can view and comment on documents in the web app, or edit in the Mac app.
- Offers monthly or yearly billing. Pay $9 monthly or $99 yearly for each Editor (Viewers are free) and get regular updates for the lifetime of your subscription.
- No shared workspace, only access to the Mac app. New and renewed licenses don’t include a Workspace, or access to the web app for feedback, handoff and our collaboration features.
- Local document storage only. Existing active licenses support browsing, opening and saving documents to a Personal Workspace up to its current expiry date. New and renewed licenses only support local storage.
- No real-time collaboration. Mac-only licenses can’t use real-time collaboration, except when invited to a document in someone else’s workspace.
- Manages devices, not people. Whereas a subscription makes it easy to manage people and roles, legacy licenses only work with a single license key that can be used on a limited number of devices. Basic admin tools exist to remove authorised devices only. To use the Mac app on multiple Macs, you’ll need to pay for more devices.
- Can only be renewed yearly. If you renew your license, you’ll get another year of updates and you’ll only be able to use the Mac app. If you don’t renew your license, you can keep using the Mac app with no further updates
If you are still using a Mac-only license and would like to upgrade to the full Sketch experience, please check out the articles below:
Can’t find your answer?
Contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.