Why is Sketch slow?
Sketch is great at dealing with complex designs, but if you are experiencing performance issues, there are a few things that may be causing this and some steps you can take to fix them.
If none of the suggestions below help with the issues you’re having, please get in touch with us for more help. We’ll ask you for a few different things to help us investigate your issue and find a solution. You can find a full list of what we might need from you in the Providing Feedback article.
Note: If you’re experiencing issues with Sketch crashing, there are a few other solutions to try. You can find more details of these in the How can I stop Sketch crashing? article.
Check your Plugins
We do our best to check plugins and work directly with plugin developers to prevent issues. But sometimes they can cause issues. To work out if a plugin is at fault, follow our instructions in the How do I launch Sketch in Safe Mode? article.
If you do come across an issue caused by a plugin, check to see if there’s an update available for it, or get in touch with its developer for further support and assistance.
Try a complete reinstall
Sometimes a problem with your current installation of Sketch can cause issues, especially if it’s an update from a previous version. In this case, it’s worth trying a clean reinstall. To do this:
- Quit Sketch and open Finder
- Select Go › Go to Folder… (Cmd + Shift + G)
- Enter the following path in the dialog that appears:
~/Library/Application Support/com.bohemiancoding.sketch3and click Go
- Copy the
Librariesfolders to your Desktop
- Download, install and launch AppCleaner (free)
- Drag the Sketch Application icon from your
/Applicationsfolder onto the App Cleaner window
- Click Remove to have AppCleaner remove all files (not Sketch Documents) related to Sketch
- Download and Install the latest version of Sketch from https://www.sketch.com/updates
- Make sure you move the latest version of Sketch to your Applications folder
- Launch Sketch and enter your License Information or log in with your Sketch Account details
If you need to, you can now reinstall your Libraries and Plugins by dragging and dropping them onto the relevant pane within Sketch Preferences.
There might also be something in your document itself that is compromising the application’s performance, so we highly recommend checking some of these points:
- If you are adding lots of images to a document, a handy solution to keep its size under control is to use the reduce image size feature.
- Watch out for multiple blurs and shadows, as they require more processing power than regular layers to render them.
- A large number of Artboards all on the same Page might not be the best structure in terms of performance. A good practice to follow is to take advantage of Pages and move some Artboards to different Pages.
- Be aware of importing highly-detailed vector artwork from elsewhere that might contain an extremely high number of bezier curves and points. A typical example of this might be a world map, or a textured pattern.
Can’t find your answer?
Contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.