Sketch is a design platform with an award-winning native Mac app and browser-based collaboration tools. Over a million people use our product to create their best work. And right now, we’re looking for frontend developers to join us.
We work with empowered product teams that truly own what they do — delivering new features and improving the technology foundations of our platform. As a frontend developer, you will build the interfaces for the new prototyping and web rendering features, and contribute to a smooth and pleasant experience for our users. You will work closely with other team members (backend and Mac developers, QA analysts, designers, engineering and product managers) in building new features and improving existing ones, and also collaborate with other teams, sharing knowledge and helping to improve the Sketch platform in general.
We're looking for someone who loves building products from a visual perspective. This role is right for you if you love nurturing a project, getting expertise in how the users interact with it, and coming up with improvements for the application — for both end-users and your fellow developers.
The ideal person for the job is a dedicated team player with a keen eye for detail. We value every year of experience in your field, but experience isn't the be-all and end-all. It's just as important that you have the passion and knowledge to build high-quality software.
You care about security, code quality, scalability, performance, and simplicity. Above all, you seek operational excellence and apply the best engineering practices possible. Not everything that you or your team do can be perfect, but you make sure that you always know the trade-offs. You back your decisions with arguments. You don't care for hype and always try to find the best solution and technology for the job and its context.
You are a pragmatist and understand technology as the medium to build products. You understand the right balance between code readability, simplicity, development speed, performance, and maintainability.
You value team work, knowledge sharing, autonomy and ownership. You care are about your team, and contribute to an environment of psychological safety and healthy work culture.
We’re a company of diverse thinkers and doers who take pride in always improving our product. We share a vision and commitment to help each other — and our customers — create great work.
We’ve been fully remote since day one. It’s meant we can bring together incredible people from around the world. You’ll join over 75 Mac, backend, frontend, QA and infrastructure engineers in the Technology team, based everywhere from Scotland to South Africa, and Lithuania to the US.
We encourage our people to be themselves and embrace what makes us unique. We value different backgrounds, perspectives and experience, and we strongly believe this is key to achieving outstanding results.
We work asynchronously as much as we can. Our team communicates mostly in writing, using Slack and GitHub. When we need it, we also have video calls. We have a culture of collaboration and knowledge-sharing, and we provide the environment and the tools you need to do your best work.
Essentials for the job
- You are passionate about the web, product design, and problem-solving.
- You enjoy working as part of a close-knit team. Together with your colleagues, you will code, review Pull Requests, deploy to production, etc. As part of a distributed team, you believe in maintaining detailed documentation.
- You can write and maintain high-quality and well-tested code. You can also prepare a fast proof of concept when you need to.
- You have experience with Typescript.
- You are familiar with GraphQL. You understand, at least, its pros and cons compared to REST services, depending on the context.
- You have excellent communication skills and written English, are self-motivated, and comfortable working in a remote position.
- Based in GMT-5 to GMT+2 timezones.
We care about your wellbeing and your professional success, so we offer you
- Full time employment, with a flexible schedule
- International environment and working culture
- As many vacation days as you need
- Whatever training you need to develop in your job
- The hardware you need
- The option to work anywhere in GMT-5 to GMT+2 timezones.
- Company equity
- Paid family leave
- An annual company meetup (when possible)