There are three ways to preview prototypes — in the Mac app, in the web app, or on your iOS device using the Sketch iPhone app.
How to preview a prototype
Previewing a prototype in the Mac app
To start a preview in the Mac app, click the Preview button in the toolbar. If you’ve set a Start Point, your prototype will start from there. If not, it’ll start from the currently selected Artboard.
- Click anywhere within the Preview window to see hints that show you where Links and Hotspots are on the current Artboard.
- The back button will take you back a step to the previous Artboard in your prototype.
- The flag icon () sets the Artboard you’re currently viewing as a Start Point.
- The Artboards drop-down menu gives you a quick way to jump between different Artboards.
- The View Artboard in Canvas icon opens the Artboard being previewed in the Mac app.
- The share icon allows you to copy a link to your prototype that you can share with others.
Previewing a prototype in the web app
When you open a document in the web app, you can view any prototypes it contains by clicking the Prototypes link in the About tab of the sidebar. Click on a prototype’s thumbnail to open and preview it in your browser.
Note: Make sure you set a Start Point in your prototype, otherwise it won’t appear in the web app.
- Click anywhere within the Preview window to see tap targets that show you where Links and Hotspots are on the current Artboard.
- To close the prototype and return to the document overview, click X.
- Restart Prototype takes you back to the prototype’s Start Point.
- The Previous / Next screen buttons will step through the linked Artboards in your prototype (if defined).
- The View Artboard button opens the Artboard being previewed in the Web app.
- The Full Screen button makes the window full screen, esc will exit full screen.
If you’ve enabled comments on your document, anyone viewing your prototype can use the View Artboard button to leave the prototype and enter a static view of that Artboard. From there, they can leave comments in the sidebar. They can return to the web player using the play icon in the toolbar.
How to Preview a prototype in the Sketch iPhone app
Launch the Sketch iPhone app on your iOS device and open the Workspace Document containing the prototype. In the Document sheet, you will find the Prototypes listed, Tap any of the prototypes to launch on the device.
How to share a prototype
To share a prototype, first you’ll need to set the link’s permissions to View in the document’s Settings.
Sharing a prototype in the Mac app
In the prototype’s Preview window, tap on in the top-right corner of the window. From there, you can copy a link to the prototype to your clipboard or choose any other option in the menu.
Note: You can only share prototypes that belong to documents inside your Workspace.
Sharing a prototype in the web app
To share a prototype with other people, you just need to share a link to the prototype with them. To copy a prototype’s link you can either copy it directly from your browser (with the prototype’s Preview open) or hover over the prototype’s thumbnail in the document overview, and click . From there, you can either choose between:
- Copy link to prototype with Hotspots: we‘ll highlight any Hotspots or Links in the prototype. These act as hints to help people know where they should click.
- Copy link to prototype with Hotspots disabled: we won‘t show any Hotspots or Links when previewing the prototype.
Sharing a prototype in the iPhone app
To share a prototype with other people from the iPhone app use the share icon that appears in the title of a document when viewing the document sheet.